11 October, 2012

Who is like You?


Exodus 15:11 says, “Who among the gods is like You, Lord? Who is like You: majestic in holiness, awesome in glory, working wonders?”
The Israelites are cornered against the Red Sea by the Egyptian army who is ready to destroy the whole nation of Israel. They begin to get fearful and start to worry about the likelihood of their survival when Moses says, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still (Exodus 14:13-14).” Then the people were delivered by the grace of God and the parting of the sea behind them.
Moses in the next chapter begins to sing a song about the greatness of God and His deliverance. The irony is that Moses says, “Who among the gods is like You, Lord?” stated in a way as to automatically receive a resounding, “No god is like You, Lord!” from the people of Israel. However, a few chapters later, they begin to worship idols and begin to wonder from following after the Lord. So maybe they should reconsider the song they sang and instead say, “Who among the gods, besides golden calves, is like You, Lord?”
Isn’t this true for us to though? Let’s take a look of some of the songs we sing often in Church.
“Holy Holy Holy. Lord God almighty, early in the morning our song shall rise to Thee.”
“Our God is greater; Our God is stronger; God You are higher than any other.”
“You’re all I want, You’re all I ever needed.”
The list goes on and on…
Look at what we sing. In the Hebrew language, the way they showed superlatives is by repeating the word. So when we sing “Holy Holy Holy” we are literally saying, “You are the most set apart and perfect being worthy of praise.” So yes, we sing this and we do so correctly, for this is who God is, but with out lives, don’t we speak falsity? Our words sing that God is the Holist and most precious Being, but with out lives we say that money, friends, arts, school, and anything else we can imagine is now the most precious thing alive.
My brother once said to me, “Do you really want to know what you love most? Find out what you spend the most time doing.” I would quickly reply while playing my Zelda and Mario video games, “I love God, but that doesn’t mean I have to read my Bible all day or pray all day.” The truth is you don’t, but certainly my heart did not truly love God, as I ought. Even today, there are things that I call more worthy than God. I love money. I love people understanding that I am a cool person. I enjoy the momentary comfort of knowing that I have someone else.
These are my gods. These are the things I bow down to and say, “How great is your name above the earth! My heart longs to be in your perfection.” What are your gods? Who do you serve? Romans 6:20 says that we were slaves to sin, meaning that we serve a god that is not the Lord almighty. However Christ has saved us from being slaves to sin, but then why do we run back to our old masters and ask to be accepted? If God is our master and we are now destined to give Him glory and serve Him, why do we turn from Him and serve our old master? He is no longer our master. He has no shackles on our wrists.
So here we are. We understand what we sing. We sing that we have been saved from slavery to sin into slavery with Christ. We are to proclaim the glory and worthiness of God because He is truly worthy. Not only are we supposed to sing of His greatness but live in the fact of His greatness. This is to say that we are to live in a way that expresses the glory of Christ.
“Truly we were made to praise the Lord.” – Jeremy Riddle.
1st Corinthians 15:58 says, “Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.” – Forsake All

No comments:

Post a Comment