11 December, 2012

Depend on God


1st Samuel 24:4 says, “And the men of David said to him, "Here is the day of which the   Lord said to you, 'Behold, I will give your enemy into your hand, and you shall do to him as it shall seem good to you.'" Then David arose and stealthily cut off a corner of Saul's robe.”
My father has previously started a Bible Study with our youth group that causes all of us to get into our Bible everyday of the week, and we aren’t allowed to attend the next meeting if we were unable to complete four days of reading our Bibles. It’s been a great accountability plan to get into the Bible everyday. Even though I can’t attend most of the meetings, I follow the reading plan and stay on track just in case I can show up the following week.
We have been going through the book of 1st Samuel and learning about Samuel, Saul, and most recently David. It’s been great and very enjoyable. Today, we were beckoned to read chapters 24 and 25 of the book and I came across this passage. Things are tense as Saul is directly on the other side of a mountain from David. They are the closest they have been through out this long chase and David has the opportunity to end it.
His men tell him to sneak up behind Saul and take his life. David has the full right to do this, as he has been anointed king and really Saul should be considered his subject. However, David only cuts off a piece of Saul’s garment as proof he doesn’t want to kill Saul. Even later he regrets cutting of the edge of his robe because Saul is the Lord’s anointed. Imagine how his men must have felt. So close, and he let him go. Later David approaches Saul and bows to him and shows him the edge of his garment as a symbol of his intensions. Saul then lets him life as long as he doesn’t destroy his family when David is king.
Think about it; David is on the brink of death. This man that has been seeking his life is now a few yards in front of David and David is in the most vulnerable position possible: a bow. Saul could have taken several steps and had ended David’s life. The whole situation was completely inconceivable. I imagine the men of both David and Saul were thinking, “This is ridiculous. How am I going to explain my absence to my wife now?”
If you flip over Psalm 34, you see David praising God for His deliverance. We also see his dependence on God through this Psalm and through our story. My father wrote in our study notes, “How do you depend on God?” This question scares me a little. The Creator of the universe, Who has made all things and has set things into motion, is in my backseat as jumper cable just incase my car battery needs some help. Isn’t that how it is for most of us?
How do we depend on God? How do we live a life taking steps of faith saying, “God will get me through this situation” or “God will deliver me if I depend on Him”? As many of you know, I auditioned for a ministry team at Liberty University recently and didn’t get on the team. The importance of this audition was, if one was to make it on the team, he would receive a full-ride scholarship to the school. Yeah, it was a big deal. However God must have different plans for me. I ask God, “How can I pay for college now? Do You even want me to attend college? Where do You want me to go and what do You want me to do?”
For me, to live dependant on Christ is for me to sit in the back seat and let God drive me to my destination in the future. For all I know, I could be in Africa or China or Russia sharing the Gospel or a trash man working all day everyday. I have no idea where God wants me, but He doesn’t call me to figure out my own plans; in fact, he discourages it. He says, “Seek me first.” That’s dependence.
How are you living a life dependant on God? – Forsake All

No comments:

Post a Comment