12 March, 2013

Strength in Weakness


2nd Corinthians 12:10 says, “Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.”
The Christian worldview is so backwards. In our world, the most popular are the strongest. We envy those who are stronger and those who seem to have more control in their situations. As guys, we strive to be the strongest, partly because we have a desire to fulfill our own needs and not have to rely on others to help us. We don’t want to be helped, or even have to ask. Doesn’t this sound right?
Sometimes our culture mixes into Christianity as well. As believers, we sometimes try to have all the answers, memorize the most scripture, and even be the wisest so our friends will come to us to ask for spiritual advice. It sounds weird, but isn’t that the truth? Jesus starts to turn our world around when he starts giving the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5. Everyone there must have been wide-eyed because everything he said was completely radical, in the sense of being complete opposing to the normal ideals.
The main reason I’m writing this is because I think there is a lot of people who look at others with big, old, and word Bibles and start to think, “They’re totally ‘Holier Than Thou.’ ” It’s weird though; when I find myself in the darkest of times, I end up reading my Bible shortly after. Why is it like that? Why do I read my Bible? Well, my motive for reading the Bible should be because I am weak am in need of a Remedy. However sometimes it really is to highlight as much stuff as possible so the people sitting next to me on Sunday will see how spiritual I am. It’s so backwards! When I read my Bible, what I’m really doing is focusing on the glory of God and taking my eyes off myself.
Why do you read the Bible?
I used to get on to a lot of people who never read their Bible, and still sometimes do. It just doesn’t make sense that if you truly understood the state that you are in that you wouldn’t want to read the Bible, but I have to understand that God’s timing is His timing. Someone could totally come up to me and say the same things, about how I should read the Bible more, which I should, but really, my heart really just needs to be broken enough sometimes in order for me to really want to know God more.
I have to come to a place where I understand that God is the One thing I need because whatever I’m doing really isn’t working well for me. It’s my cry of desperation. Maybe you look at all the blogs I’ve written (Somewhere around 80) and say, “What an awesome and spiritual guy!” I assure you that the only reason I write is because I need to be taught things. Most of the entries were written about the things I was learning or going through. It’s like talking to a friend about an issue and then coming up with the answer before they even speak. I pray that people would look at me and comment on how weak, disgusting, and useless I am without the power of God giving me life and the ability to love Him.
Let your weakness show. Tell people how weak you are. Read you’re Bible because you are weaker than you think! And like I said earlier, I’m writing this to myself more than anyone. But maybe you need to hear this. Maybe you need to understand the strength of weakness. When you’re weak, you’re giving God the glory of having the victory. When God took over Jericho, He made sure that Joshua was completely out of the way so that the complete glory would go to Himself.
We are weak but He is strong – Forsake All

No comments:

Post a Comment