27 February, 2014

Set Your Mind

Colossians 3:1-3 says, "Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God."
This is my life verse right now along with Matthew 6:33 that says, "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you."
I have entered into a time in my life that should have consumed me at a younger age, but as they say, better late than never. I believe that God desires me to chase after Him and only Him for the rest of my college life. I have the conviction to become the Pastor and Man that I need to be in order to have the best ministry that I can have according to the measure of given grace. I want to be filled up like a sponge so that when I go into the ministry and start working, the substance of which I pour out will be gracious, loving, and kind.
You're probably thinking that that was a pretty gross analogy...
...and you're probably right.
I've been convicted about 1st Corinthians 7 and the desire Paul has to see single people step into ministry because of their sole goal, which is to only do the Lord's work without worrying about how they should please their family or wife. So to all of you college students, and even more so high school students, this is aimed, I believe, directly at you! Paul says that some people need to get married so that they don't burn with passion, but the truth is that if you're not in a place to get married, you under the beautiful title of being "single".
All throughout high school, I was convinced that this was a curse, but the truth is that it is more of a blessing than most anything else on this earth. When we are lonely, we understand that there is a reason that we are lonely, and in that state of mind, we then come to grips that the only person who can satisfy this longing for belonging is Christ Jesus; who has made us sons and daughters with an inheritance of righteousness and everlasting intimacy. Amen?
Paul went into Arabia to spend time away learning the Way from the Lord (Gal 1:17). John the Baptist grew strong in the Spirit by being in the wilderness (Luke 1:80). Most of all, Jesus spent 40 days in the wilderness (Luke 4:1-2).
So my conclusion is that for great ministry to happen, there needs to be great preparation; and that is exactly what I long for in this time.
If you also have the desire for ministry, then see whatever situation you are in as preparation for that ministry. - Forsake All

1 comment:

  1. Great encouragement Rob. I'm sharing this on Facebook. Hope that's okay!

    ReplyDelete