09 May, 2012

Guard Your Tongue


Proverbs 10:13 says, “On the lips of the discerning, wisdom is found; But a rod is for the back of him who lacks understanding.”
In this verse, we have two different men; one that is wise and the other whom is foolish. This verse talks about what the end consequence for each man is. For the person that thinks about what he is about to say and whether or not it is uplifting will grant wisdom to his listeners.
In the same chapter in verse eleven, Solomon says, “The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life.” It’s the similar idea. When you speak, do people heed to what you have to say? When you say something, do people feel refreshed? I think this is a huge warning to those who talk, which is most likely everyone. It warns them to be careful about what they say. James, in his book, says a lot about how powerful the tongue is and even compares it to the rudder of a ship, determining where it goes (James 3:4). Even so in Proverbs, it is an important part of the body, either giving life or destruction.
In the second line of this verse, it says that a rod is for the back of him who lacks understanding. This gives me a picture of back when I was younger when I would get spankings. Believe me, I received a lot of spankings when I was younger. Why? Because I simply lacked understanding. Another famous punishment that my parents would give to me is the soap, which they told me to rub on my tongue. That was everything but enjoyable.
However, without these simple corrections and punishments, I would have gone into the world, not knowing that words do have strong affects on people. What someone says can completely change another person’s mood. The song, “Oh be careful little tongue what you say, oh be careful little tongue what you say. For the Father up above is looking down with love, oh be careful little tongue what you say.” Do we lose sight of how important it is to really and truly guard our tongues?
God, change our hearts so that when speak, life is given. – Forsake All

No comments:

Post a Comment