27 February, 2012

Boasting in Infirmities


2nd Corinthians 12:7-10 says, “Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me—to keep me from exalting myself! 8 Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. 9 And He has said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.’ Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10 Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.”
Yesterday, during our Sunday Service, our executive pastor talked about this verse. Not to boast, but like most verses talked about in Church; I think I’ve already heard about them, until the Pastor begins to talk. Then I soon realized something that I have been struggling with for my whole life.
Paul is talking in these verses that he is not strong enough. See it? Verse 9 shows God talking to Paul saying “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” I know that I try so hard to be such a strong Christian. I read my Bible everyday, pray as often as I can, go on mission trips, tithe, man, it feels like I do everything. Everyday I keep waiting for the feeling of God saying, “Rob, dude, you’re awesome!”
Of course these are all good things, but am I just giving these to God? What about my infirmities? What about the way I cheat, lie, lust, envy, and all my insecurities? God is calling out to me, “Rob, you’re awful, but that is the way I will be glorified.” The pastor said that he wants people to look at us and see how awful we are, but that our God is amazing and beautiful.
This isn’t to say that we should continue in sin, but more so that we shouldn’t be weighed down by sin. It should show us how much we need God. Sin does not control us, but at the same time, we are not perfect. I know I try to be perfect. I try to be perfect every day and in everything I do, and I strive for the title of, “Rob the Perfect.”
It’s something I get from the community. Everyone knows the best people are perfect. You are considered smart if you get an 100% on a Math test, but if you get a 99% or lower, people may view you as smart, but not perfect, and form me, that’s a big issue. However, reread the verse. Does God work through the perfect, or even more so, those who try to be perfect? No! He works through the broken. He looks at us and says, “You are so lost, but let me work in You and My name will be great!”
Paul Washer, a favorite of mine, says it’s like the contrast of the stars and the night sky. Right now, it’s about noon, and looking in the sky, I see no stars. You may say, “Of course you don’t. It is midday.” However, when it gets closer to night, the sky begins to darken, and then you can see the glory of the stars. It’s the black of the night that causes the stars to shine so brightly. If the night wasn’t there, no one could see the stars.
This is to say that through us, people see how amazing God is. They see us, our flaws, but they understand how great our God is. This is something that really has touched me, and I hope it touches you to live differently too. How should we live? We should live showing God to the entire world. Let us boast in our infirmities.
I am flawed, but my God is flawless – Forsake All

No comments:

Post a Comment