22 November, 2011

Consolation & Salvation

 2 Corinthians 1:3-7 states, "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ. Now if we are afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation, which is effective for enduring the same sufferings which we also suffer. or if we are comforted, it is for your consolation and salvation. And our hope for you i steadfast because we know that as you are partakers of the sufferings, so also you will partake of the consolation."
There is a lot to read, but don't worry, I'll try to break it down into segments so it's easier to comprehend. So Paul is writing his second letter to the Corinthians and the saints of Achaia. Verses 3-7 follow after a basic introduction (Which is another post for another time).
Verse 3 "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort" This is the opening catch for the rest of the passage. He goes on to explain a little bit more, "who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God."
This is now becoming more of a chain of comfort. God is the comforter, then He comes to comfort us, so that we can comfort others. This whole time, we are under God's ultimate comfort. Why do we need to be comforted? "For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ." Remember in Luke 14 when Jesus says, "For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it (Verse 28)." The sufferings of Christ that abound in us are the cost. I guess you could say, it's what we signed up for when we decided to live for Christ. I know a lot of times in my life, living for Christ can be the hardest thing ever. I have such an evil desire, my willingness to obey my parents is very little, but by the grace of God, I can do pretty well, still not perfect yet. I also see my friends who find a girl, have the time of their lives with her, and still feel perfectly fine about their relationship with God. I know that God has called me not to do that, but OH how much I flirt with the idea, and get as close as I possibly can.
I remember going to my friends and my parents in tears about how hard it is to feel like the only one. Last night was one of those nights. I got frustrated because I feel like I work ten times harder than everyone else (Which I know I don't). God is calling for great things in me, and I need to rely on Him to comfort me when things get hard.
It doesn't make any sense for Christ to say, "Rob, I'm going to make you a great Christian man, that praises Me constantly." However, when things get hard, God leaves me to my own self-pity. God is there to comfort me (Verse 5). In fact, verse 6 says that if we are afflicted, then it is for our consolation and salvation. It literally means peace and protection. God is constantly building us for our consolation and salvation while we are being distressed, so that we can help one other when they go through the same things.
There are people who think God isn't transcendent, which means that He does not interact with us today, and never did. However take this to heart, God became man to pay for your sins, and while He was here, He suffered "manhood". He knows what you are going through. Last night, I vented to God and told Him how much I hated different things in my life, and how I just wanted them out, and an half and hour later, I fell asleep. This morning, I feel refreshed, and I have a clear mind.
God does comfort when you follow Him in His plan. Notice it how it says, "For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ." If you sacrifice yourself for Christ's sake, He will be there to guide you through every step.
John 16:33 "I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have peace. In this world, you will have trouble, but take heart, I HAVE OVERCOME THE WORLD." - Forsake All

1 comment:

  1. This was so encouraging, thank you so much. It has brought me a lot of comfort, from the Father.
    -Jenny

    ReplyDelete