19 November, 2011

The Lady on the Median

Matthew 5:38-42 says, "You have heard it said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks you, and for him who wants to borrow you do not turn away."
Today, my brother David and I were driving home from a service project at some apartments, when we saw a lady in the median between two one way roads. I asked my brother, "Do you think she is homeless?" He answered, "Yeah, probably." I remember the two black trash bags in my trunk full of clothes I had decided I didn't need anymore. I told my brother about them, and we both agreed to pull over and minister to her.
I went first to talk to her, while David sat in the car. She was smoking a cigarette, listening to the radio, and trying to sell newspapers. However, she had problems with her knee, so she could only sit down and rub her knee which greatly decreased the chance of selling newspapers to the passing cars. I went over to ask her how she was doing and wondering if we could help her by giving her some clothes. She told me that she was in need of some clothes for her and her son. I immediately ran back to the car.
I opened the trunk, got the bag of clothes, and walked back to the lady with David. I had planned to pull out some shirts and such and give them to her, but she seemed interested in obtaining the entire bag. I was very hesitant, but I decided to give her the whole bag. She was very grateful, but she mention how all she wanted was money to buy a turkey to cook for Thanksgiving for her and her son.
My parents had always warned me against giving money to the homeless, just because they could use it to buy drugs, alcohol, and cigarets. As she explained more of her situation, I battled in my mind the authenticity of her story. I made up my mind that I wouldn't just give her money, but I had a better idea. As we said our goodbyes, she thanked us for the clothes, and we walked back to the car. I unlocked the car, David and I got in, and we headed to Wal-Mart.
We made a U-turn to get to Wal-Mart, and when we got there, we parked near the back of the parking lot.   While we walked towards the entrance, seeing all the parking spaces we had missed, we walked in, purchased our grocery, and walked back to the car. We made another U-turn to get back to the lady on the median. We pulled over into the grass and walked towards her with our grocery, a New Testament, and a Life Book.
As she was still pulling out and folding the clothes we had given her, no more than five minutes earlier, she was surprised to see us. David showed her what we had bought and she proclaimed, "Did you really get me a Turkey?!?!"
David and I were filled with joy to see the expression on her face, and I believe it was at that moment when we thought, "This makes everything we paid and went through worth it." We gave her the two books, told her that if she wanted to read them, she could, but we didn't want to force anything. We prayed over her, gave her several hugs, then walked back to our car. Not only did we make her day, but she made ours, and even effect my life.
In my earlier note, I said that my clothes, when I wore them, had no ministry. That same day, I packed up those large trash bags with them and put them in my car, planning to give them out to a bunch of people. The fact that she took a whole bag made me a little sad at first, but then later, I remembered Matthew 5:38-42.
As Christians, we are called to go above and beyond the call of duty. When someone does something wrong to us, we are suppose to reach out to them, in love. Today, even though Mrs. Maggie (The Lady on the Median) didn't harm us, David and I both reached out to her in love. God was so gracious to my brother, me, and Mrs. Maggie, and I am excited to see what He continues to do in all of us.

1 comment:

  1. I love your heart of service and obedience.

    ReplyDelete