14 November, 2011

Leaving All to Follow Christ

Luke 14:25-26 - "Now great multitudes went with Him. And He turned and said to them, 'If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.' " I remember back to a sermon that was given by a Greek pastor in Burundi, Africa (Small World?). It was interesting because I started going through the book of Luke, and when he preached a sermon on this verse, I was very excited to get a second opinion. However, in the end we both had very similar ideas on what we think the verses meant practically.
Most people look at the book of Luke and really delude it for what it is worth. When the Bible says, "If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple" it truly means it. Now, are we suppose to go hate our family and cut ourselves in order to obey this verse? Listen to what Paul says in Romans 12:9-10, "Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good. Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love in honor giving preference to one another."(Emphasis added) Our job is indeed that we love another because Christ has loved us (John 13:34).
So what does Luke 14:25-26 mean when it says to hate our family and ourselves? The Greek pastor stated that we should love God over our families and ourselves. If there is a choice between obeying God and our parents, the right decision would be to obey Christ first. I completely agree with this point, and even add this: when we stand before the gates of Heaven, will we testify to our parents or our God? God is our ultimate authority.
God has given me the large blessing of Christ-like parents. Trust me, without out my Dad and my Mom, I'm not sure where I would be, but I have an idea that the cardboard box on the side of the road would be my home. However, they have told me themselves that they are sinners as well as I am. I do not preach division in a Godly household, but all I want to say is know the Word. If you're like me, which I know I am, you learn best by watching what people do, and doing exactly what they do. You learn by sight. I have to admit that my parents do things that are not pleasing to the Lord, and I'm sure that they would tell you the same thing. It's very easy for me to follow in those steps, even if it is as small as going five over the speed limit with no conviction.
"For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." - Romans 3:23. In light of this verse, I do not even dare to declare self-righteousness. I have sinned more times than I can count, and I don't doubt that my parents will tell you that as well. However, my goal is to fall in love with God and His word in order to give Him the most amount of glory through my complete obedience. By His grace, I live. Without it, I'd slip and fall right into Hell (Jonathan Edwards Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God).
What is the point of this post? Stand up for what you believe, even if those closest to you disagree with you. Also, back up your life with your belief. Finally, know why you believe what you indeed believe in. - Forsake All

2 comments:

  1. Will you lay down your life for me..that phrase has been ao pressed upon me..like you i desire to love God with all of my heart, have him glorified to the utmost and seek him with my whole being..thakyou for sharing this, much needed at the moment..forsaking all can be painful and moments of loneliness...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! I'd love to connect with you and help you and pray for you! robertwegner1433@gmail.com. Send me an e-mail.

    ReplyDelete