26 November, 2011

The Poor, Maimed, Lame, and the Blind

Luke 14:12-14 says "Then He also said to him who invited him, 'When you give a dinner or a supper, do not ask your friends, your brothers, your relatives, nor rich neighbors, lest they also invite you back, and you be repaid. But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, and the blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you; for you shall be repaid at the resurrection of the just.' "
I recently listen to a sermon by Dr. David Platt, who has written the book Radical (Which I highly recommend) and is the teaching pastor at The Church at Brooks Hill. This was a two-part sermon entitled,  The Gospel and Materialism. He opens up with a description of the Christians in the mid 1800s. He thought it was insane how they would go to church, listen to what they should and should not do, then return to their slaves, who were treated very badly, and do nothing to change their way of life. Now, I understand not every single slave was treated poorly, but in the South, it was a very common way of life to consider yourself generous for giving your slave an extra piece of bread on Thanksgiving day.
We look back and ask, "How could Christians who read their Bible, went to Church, and even wanted to draw closer to God treat slaves the horrible way they did?" It doesn't make sense. However, the spotlight shifts over to us.
What if people ask the same of us? "How could Christians who read their Bible, went to Church, and even wanted to draw closer to God be so consumed with material things?" Ever since the Second World War, Dads have wanted their children to live better lives, and have peace in their pleasurable materials. Ever since, this has been a part of our culture. Just like Verse 14:13, when I ask my parents if we can invite the homeless over for Thanksgiving, they laugh and say "No way!" It doesn't make since why we would invite the homeless over to our house to eat our food, and endure the risk of them stealing our stuff.
Our culture has made a small abode in our hearts, that makes us second guess complete submission to the Word of God. Small enough to think we don't have it, and big enough to keep us away from Slavery.
However, what do we belong to? Our culture, or our relationship with Christ? I'd rather belong to my relationship with Christ, because I know it is everlasting, will never fade in and out, and will save me from everlasting pain in Hell. On the other hand, if I belong to my culture, we both will be tossed into the fire.
Today, I plan to go back over to Mrs. Maggie and have a small lunch with her. I pray that she is there, and I pray that I continue to pray for her. I had someone, who has been reading my posts, text me on Thanksgiving day, "...and I'll be praying for Mrs. Maggie." Conviction overwhelmed me as I tried to find a decent reply. I have been busy, and I have been thinking that I am too busy to pray for those in need.
That's why I chose the passage above, because it made me think of Mrs. Maggie and her situation. Will she throw a party on the Median of 242 for me with lights, music, and a great feast? Chances are slim. However, what drives me is the fact that God is working in her, and I want to be there to watch her burn with passion for Christ. If God is working in someone's life, then I want to be there to see it. -Forsake All

No comments:

Post a Comment