15 November, 2011

Count the Costs

Luke 14:28-32 "For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it- lest, after he has laid the foundation, and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, saying, 'This man began to build and was not able to finish'? Or what king going to make war against another king, does not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? Or else while the other is still a great way off, he sends a delegation and asks conditions of peace."
Were we even told of the costs? I grew up in the church, and was preached the Gospel ever since I can remember. However, one day, when I was only four, I talked to my mom and she explained everything to me, and she thinks that was the turning point for my faith. Sure, I understood who God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit were (And still are) but did I understand the costs? Like giving up my life?
This past Summer, I had the opportunity to lead one of my best friends to the Lord. However, when I was  talking with her, I wanted to make sure I said everything correctly. I wanted her to understand that the Christian life isn't the easiest, and actually can cause a lot of strife with family members, and even more so with friends. In knowing all of the costs she accepted Christ, and now, she encourages me to get into the word every day.
She counted the costs. She reasoned between building the structure of faith or just living life the way she had been living it. Before she decided to build on her foundation, she told herself that much hardship awaits. But she outweighed the costs in favor of accepting Christ.
Now that we know the costs, later on in our faith, are we willing to pay them? I have met a countless number of Christians who believe in the first page of saving faith. I say "First Page" because there is so much beyond faith that we are called to do. We are called to go out and preach the Word, obey God's commands, and walk with the Holy Spirit. However, they believe that they have fire insurance from when they were little and in Sunday School. Honestly, until recently in my walk with Christ, I was the same way. But it's time to count the costs and follow Christ.
So sit down, count your costs, and with God's grace, you'll have enough to finish what Christ has begun. - Forsake All

No comments:

Post a Comment