29 September, 2012

Project Faith: Eric Bowden


The following comes from a note that Eric wrote to remember all the things that God has done for him.

"God was never more apparent in my life than when I lived in Spain.  Due to various reasons, it was a very difficult and somewhat lonely year, but it was due to the differing circumstances that God was able to reveal himself to me.  The sheer slow-pace of it all allowed me to contemplate the deeper questions regarding the Divine and the meaning of life.  He provided me with numerous books as well as His Word and I could feel his presence shine as I immersed myself in them.  My Christianity turned from a childhood religion to an integral part of my life.

For most of my life I wanted to go to the U.S Naval Academy, and I worked diligently for years to qualify myself to go.  Last year my chances of attending were looking good, almost a sure-thing, as I was merely a few points short of maxing out both the SAT and the physical fitness test.  But as the spring came by, a number of events occurred that made my future less than certain.  Although I initially rebelled at the idea, I really feel like I, for reasons too long to spell out here, didn’t get into the Academy for a reason(as well as giving me some much-needed humility), and that Virginia really is the place for me to be right now.

Last spring, I was constantly ranting about how materialistic most Americans were.  About how all they cared about was having a nice car, boat, or iphone, and how Americans didn’t have enough discipline or self-control to let go of the things of the world.  At the same time, I acquired an obsession with success. I worshiped it for its own sake. I would devour books on it, spending most of my waking hours working to be a success story.  If I was a hypocrite, I didn’t realize it.   It was when I attended Ascend Summer camp up in Missouri with Lakeside Bible church that I began to understand the cognitive dissonance involved. The teachings there and the conversations with Lakeside’s youth pastor Adam Tyson made a big impact on me.  It was the “do everything, even the most trivial things, for the glory of God,”  that tripped my trigger.  I came to realize that my obsession with success for its own sake arose from the same base, sinful source that obsession with physical things came from.  For the longest time, I convinced myself that being materialistic only involved physical, tangible things, but it was that week that everything began to fall in piece.  Through that spirit-filled placed, God revealed that He should be the motivation behind all actions and thoughts. 

My relationship with my twin brother is unreal, even remarkable compared to that of other twins.  Definitely God-inspired.

God gave me the urge to ask my mother to homeschool us. She prayed about it and came to understand that that’s what God wanted us to do.  This was back in 2002, when there was significant pressure not to do so.   While it’s impossible to say for sure, I’m reasonably confident that homeschooling was one of the best things to me for myself in general and faith in particular.

While God has blessed me with a healthy body, I have been injured on occasion (who hasn’t).  Since I attach a significant portion of my worth to my health and well-being, injuries were always tough to deal with.  But it was in those moments when I learned humility, and with humility comes a state of mind that God can work wonders with.  Material hardship sowed the seeds for spiritual growth. I would always come out stronger from injuries.

I am thankful for the great relationships I have with my family and friends, especially for the support and source of inspiration they have given me."

What's your story? - Forsake All

No comments:

Post a Comment