02 January, 2012

Wisdom's Cry


Proverbs 1:20-23 says, “Wisdom shouts in the street, She lifts her voice in the square; 21 at the head of the noisy streets she cries out; at the entrance of the gates in the city she utters her sayings: 22 “How long, O naive ones, will you love being simple-minded? And scoffers delight themselves in scoffing and fools hate knowledge? 23 “Turn to my reproof, Behold, I will pour out my spirit on you; I will make my words known to you.’ ”
My dad and I had a conversation previously today about a subject that I needed a lot of wisdom about. I’m sure most of you know that living a pure life isn’t the easiest thing ever. My dad is super wise and helps me figure things out and make the best choices. However, sometimes I don’t listen to wisdom, like when I don’t read my Bible. I’m gonna give a shout out to all of those whose New Year’s Resolution was to read the Bible everyday, because I know a lot of people do, just like me. I see people saying that resolutions on New Years are just silly and pointless. My thoughts? If something drives you to read the Bible, don’t put out the fire.
The Bible contains so much wisdom, and all we have to do is read it. I know a lot of people who make fun of those who are super smart and know a lot. I don’t think we understand how easy it is to find wisdom. Just today, I read this passage, yet not for the first time, and I learned something that I can follow practically.
Have you ever thought of wisdom shouting in the streets to us? The Bible says she cries, shouts, and she lifts her voice just to show us something. Who else does the Bible tell us shouts in the streets? Later in Proverbs, mainly in chapter six, it tells us that prostitutes go in the street and try to get people’s attention. Do you see the tension? Maybe wisdom and the prostitute are on the same street and they are both yelling at you. Which one do you hear most of the time?
Prostitution in this context can mean any enticing sin, not just the sexual, but any fulfillment of lust. I know that sense we are humans, we have a tendency to follow the voice of others, but it’s not because wisdom isn’t there yelling at us, but it’s because we no longer hear her voice because we have hardened out hearts to her.
She asks us to “turn” meaning that we are walking or staring into sin. She is asking us to change our goal and to change the road we take, because she knows that where we are headed isn’t for our best, but our destruction. So guys, get into the word, and listen to wisdom and what she has to say. There is so much in the Bible that we can learn from, and we say that and laugh because it’s so obvious.
Have you ever thought of God’s Bible as a love letter from Him? Think about it. We have no entitlement to know God or know what He wants, but He is gracious enough to leave us a copy of who He is and what He wants from us. He wants a relationship with us because He knows that it is the best thing for us, and it will bring Him the most glory possible. So read the Love Letter. And understand how your Lover wants you to live. – Forsake All

No comments:

Post a Comment